VREUGD EN RUST
“Vreugd en Rust”
A document shows that the farm of Hofstede was sold in 1658. The farm receives the name Vreugd & Rust (literally meaning Joy & Peace) when it is sold to Bartholomeus Bosch in 1710. One of the previous owners had built a new farm and established a beautiful garden. The whole of Hofstede, stables, coach-house and a new farm is switching owners again in 1738 who builds the country house in 1751 which still exists to this day. The country estate is owned by Arnoldus Adianus van Tets, who expanded the whole towards 24ha. Meanwhile, the country estate also includes a greenhouse, orchard and a garden house near to de Vliet.
In 1795 the owner Hester Van Stephorst, also known as the wealthiest girl of Holland, dies. Adriana Hendrika Caan, who is the daughter of Hester, inherited Vreugd en Rust including 6 farms and a large amount of capital. In 1797 Adriana gets married with Jacobus Groen van Prinsterer. Their son, Guillaume, who later became a famous politician and historian, describes during his student days his life living on Vreugd en Rust. His life was full of social (family) commitments with plenty of time for relaxation.
Guillaume Groen van Prinsterer Voorburg was a very warm and kind person, in 1869 he bought the country estate Hofwijck which was threatened by destruction. After the death of Guillaume’s parents, his sister Cornelia Adriana received an enormous inheritance of Vreugd en Rust. Adriana got married with the wealthy Aert Frederik Hofman, and together they expanded their property to 170ha. Their daughter Jaqueline Adriane Henriette Hofman who got married in 1854 with Oto baron Van Wassenaer Catwijck, mayor of Voorburg, became owner in 1855. The couple possessed each of their own crew, a carriage with waggoner and six horses. When the widow of Van Wassenaer-Hofman dies in 1889, the property is divided by various inheritors.
The part between de Vliet and Parkweg is sold to the municipal of Den Haag in 1917. In 1920 the house received the destiny hotel-restaurant. The greenhouse became the tea house. In 1961 the country estate was bought by the municipal Voorburg.
Old press is proving that Vreugd en Rust originally existed of a rectangular floorplan, two levels and an attic. The house was as broad as seven lozenges and completely in the style of Lodewijk XIV. The entrance is remarkable due to the large amount of decoration. Presumably, Petrus Jacobus Groen van Prinsterer built two side wings connected to the house after 1819. In accordance with the Empire style, all the ornaments disappeared, the lozenges got adjusted and the brick stone façade received parget. Ever since the rebuilding of the façade nothing has changed about it. However, when the building became a hotel-restaurant, the rear of the building was expanded by a conservatory and an expansion.
Rebuilding takes place in order to prepare the building for the Montessorischool in 1938. The building became the official address of the academy of nurses Vronesteijn In 1975. Vreugd en Rust gets sold in a miserable condition and the new owner in 1987. The well-known chef Henk Savelberg (1953) opened up a hotel-restaurant in a beautifully renovated building in 1989. A terrace including a bluestone balustrade is built in front of the conservatory in 1990.
In the end of 2014 Henk Savelberg sold his “old lady” and left to Bangkok to start a new restaurant. After a month of re-styling, Central Park opened up at November 6 2014 by Ron Blaauw. As of October 1 2018, Ron Blaauw and Central Park continued in separate directions and Central Park continued individually.
Originally, the outdoor place Vreugd en Rust is assembled in a formal style. In front of the house was a forecourt surrounded by a fence, which is situated between two pavilions. Behind the house, a beautiful flower garden and a statue in the style of baroque was situated. The perfectly straight axis which provides a beautiful sight from the house is very remarkable.
Hester van Staphorst assembled a kitchen garden at the end of the 18th century. According to a cadastral map of 1819, the formal installation disappeared. Groen van Prinsterer J.D. Zocher jr. instructed to complete the installation of the landscape around 1830. This construction probably includes the greenhouse which was designed by Zocher. The Julia en Bernhardpark got assembled including a dam on the pond with a bench called “Juliana en Bernhardbank” designed by Albert Termote in 1937. The structure of the park barely changed since Zocher’s time. The pavilions disappeared as well as the dome on De Vliet.
The kitchen garden was replaced by a tennis court complex in 1929. Due to a donation of six deer by het Vijfde Bataljon Jager a deer camp was started which expanded to a small animal park in 1950. The residence of the animal were rebuilt in 1990. The fence with the monumental pillars at the entrance of the Parkweg is a characteristic of the park. In the park you will find several sculptures.
(Source: Landgoed en buitenplaats ZH)
A rectangular foundation of a 18th century main building in the style of classicism. The building is block-shaped and possesses two levels including a white parget layer with a bluestone baseboard and it is covered by extinguished Dutch tiles.
The building is expanded with two rectangular wings in 1852. Also the wooden parapet which is situated above the cornice is established. Nowadays the main building is used as the hotel-restaurant.
The façade includes 19th century old 6-pane lozenges and pilasters on the corners.
A double door is established in the middle of the façade with hemisphere skylight captured in a frame of pilasters, on top a level window and an attic light. The rear of the building contains a conservatory which is built in 1920 in the same style as the house. Recently (around 1990) a terrace with a bluestone balustrade was built. The 18th century old stairwell with plaster in the style of rococo is one of the important characteristics within the interior. Moreover, the 18th century plaster ceiling in the style of rococo in the corridor and some 19th century old plaster ceiling in the style of empire are important as well.
The main building (Vreugd en rust) is of general interest:
- due to the architectural design which is typical for classicism in the 18th century;
- due to the expansion in 1852 in the style of neoclassicism which is typical for that period;
- due to the 18th and 19th century old plaster achievements within the interior;
- due to the functionally spatial relation with other parts of the outdoor place;
- due to the typical location within the park and the style of the landscape;
(Source: Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel erfgoed / Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschap)